SAN FRANCISCO, July 21, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — The global active pharmaceutical ingredients CDMO market size is expected to reach USD 136.1 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.7% from 2021 to 2028. Increasing pharmaceutical R&D investment, patent expirations, and rise in demand for generic drugs and biologic innovation are the factors driving the market.
Key Insights & Findings:
- The traditional active pharmaceutical ingredient dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 40.5% in 2020
- The innovative drugs segment held 74.6% of the revenue share in 2020. This is largely attributed due to increasing FDA approvals for new molecular entities, and the increased focus on R&D by innovator API companies
- The oncology segment dominated the market and accounted for the largest revenue share of 35.1% in 2020. This is due to the increasing demand for highly active APIs for cancer therapy
- In Asia Pacific, the market is expected to register the fastest growth rate of 8.9% over the forecast period. Due to the extreme rising number of pharmaceutical companies and contract manufacturing organizations in developing countries like India and China, Asia Pacific is likely to overtake Europe and North America in the near future
Read 100 page market research report, «Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients CDMO Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Highly Potent API, Antibody Drug Conjugate), By Synthesis, By Drugs, By Application, By Workflow, By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2021 – 2028«, by Grand View Research
The growth of small molecules, rising Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) complexity, and the need to reduce costs are factors contributing to the rapid expansion of outsourcing services in the pharmaceutical sector. Only a few companies have achieved global reach and scale in the Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) sector, which is still fragmented. Besides, many companies are providing one-stop-shop solutions as an integrated source of APIs and formulations.
However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, governments worldwide have opted to boycott APIs made in China. Due to government-imposed lockdown limitations in China, 44 firms were declared non-operational during the pandemic. As a consequence, various countries have launched programs to develop their own APIs, and countries across the EU have re-evaluated their healthcare models in order to combat the virus and ensure a steady supply of APIs.
COVID-19 has placed unprecedented expectations on API makers, as evidenced by the substantial increase in demand for medications required to manage critically ill patients on mechanical ventilation. As a result, the sudden need to rapidly increase production has emphasized the need for adaptability for API CDMOs in maintaining drug supply, with some companies proving better able to withstand the pressures of quick scale up than others.
Grand View Research has segmented the global active pharmaceutical ingredients CDMO market based on product, synthesis, drugs, application, workflow, and region:
- API CDMO Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- Traditional Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
- Highly Potent Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
- Antibody Drug Conjugate (ADC)
- API CDMO Synthesis Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- API CDMO Drugs Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- API CDMO Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- API CDMO Workflow Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- API CDMO Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
List of Key Players of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients CDMO Market
- Thermo Fisher Pantheon
- Corden Pharma
- Samsung Biologics
- Piramal Pharma Solutions
- Boehringer Ingelheim
Browse through Grand View Research’s coverage of the Global Medical Devices Industry:
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market–The global active pharmaceutical ingredients market size was valued at USD 187.76 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% from 2021 to 2028.
- Biologics Contract Development Market–The global biologics contract development market size was valued at USD 5.6 billion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% from 2020 to 2027.
- Biologics Market–The global biologics market size was valued at USD 276.6 billion in 2015. These products represent cutting-edge research and also enable the latest scientific discoveries. Such discoveries can be translated into novel therapies that provide new treatment options for patients.
Gain access to Grand View Compass, our BI enabled intuitive market research database of 10,000+ reports
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Follow Us: LinkedIn | Twitter